The ultimate in field guides, this Smithsonian Field Guide to the Birds is sure to satisfy the most serious bird follower. A birdsong DVD, stunning photographs, detailed maps, and extensive descriptions of all things avian teach the most important aspects of these captivating creatures. This user-friendly guide takes a whole-bird approach in presenting the information and provides you with a portable resource you will not want to be without.
- 2,000 stunning color photographs of birds in natural habitat
- 700-plus detailed and up-to-date color range maps show summer, migration, winter, year-round, and rare but regular occurrence of every major species
- A DVD of birdsongs for 138 major species
- Concise descriptions of habits and ecology, age-related and seasonal differences, regional forms, and vocalization
- 46 group essays with information outlining taxonomy, feeding, migration, habitats, behaviors, and conservation status
- Sections on parts of a bird, plumage and molt, food and feeding, migration, habitats, conservation, tips on how to become a better birder, and more
- A detailed glossary of terms, species checklist, and quick index
Looking for customer feedback about Eagle Optics? Click here to see what others are saying!
Excellent field guide
Melissa from Denver, CO
We have been using this field guide for over 3 years and in that time have tried many others for casual browsing and field identification - we just keep going back to this one for its excellent ID help, call descriptions, and photos. It's heavy to carry in the field, but is worth it if exploring a new region. Otherwise it's great to have on the shelf for reference.