The ultimate in field guides, this Smithsonian Field Guide to the Birds is sure to satisfy the most serious bird follower. A birdsong DVD, stunning photographs, detailed maps, and extensive descriptions of all things avian teach the most important aspects of these captivating creatures. This user-friendly guide takes a whole-bird approach in presenting the information and provides you with a portable resource you will not want to be without.
- 2,000 stunning color photographs of birds in natural habitat
- 700-plus detailed and up-to-date color range maps show summer, migration, winter, year-round, and rare but regular occurrence of every major species
- A DVD of birdsongs for 138 major species
- Concise descriptions of habits and ecology, age-related and seasonal differences, regional forms, and vocalization
- 46 group essays with information outlining taxonomy, feeding, migration, habitats, behaviors, and conservation status
- Sections on parts of a bird, plumage and molt, food and feeding, migration, habitats, conservation, tips on how to become a better birder, and more
- A detailed glossary of terms, species checklist, and quick index